Xeomin® in Indianapolis, Indiana
Do you wish to remove the appearance of unsightly facial wrinkles and lines from your skin? If so, Xeomin® injectable fillers may be right for you. Xeomin® is a popular new treatment specially formulated to combat the effects of aging in healthy men and women. Located in Carmel and Greenwood, Hamilton Facial Plastic Surgery, led by double board-certified facial plastic surgeon Mark M. Hamilton, MD, FACS, offers Xeomin® to men and women who live in and around Indianapolis, Indiana.
What is Xeomin®?
Xeomin®, like other brand name neurotoxins such as Botox® and Dysport®, is used to soften facial wrinkles. Like Botox®, it can be used to relax frown lines, forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet and other wrinkles caused by facial expressions. The main difference between it and the other neurotoxins is its unique formulation (explained below), which is touted to prevent the possibility of decreased effectiveness with long-term use.
Why Should I Consider Xeomin®?
Facial expressions are caused by the contraction and retraction of facial muscles. With time, these contractions can form frown lines and other facial wrinkles as a result of aged skin. Once Xeomin® has been injected, it will block the chemical reactions necessary to cause the contractions, effectively softening facial lines.
The FDA has approved Xeomin® as it has proven to result in the same success as Botox®. In clinical trials, Xeomin® was injected into the same muscles that Botox® is used to treat wrinkles and aging effects. Xeomin® was just as, if not more, successful in treating and softening these facial anomalies.
The Xeomin® Procedure
At Hamilton Facial Plastic Surgery in Indianapolis, Xeomin® is injected by a syringe into the glabellar muscles in between the eyebrows. The effects occur within one week of the procedure and the results will usually last between three and six months. Once again, comparable to Botox® in both onset and total duration of action.
Xeomin®, like any other neurotoxin, can cause a spur in production of antibodies. This is due to the body’s immune system recognizing the Xeomin® as a foreign invader. In some cases, this can prevent the neurotoxin from having its intended effects. However, Xeomin® has an advantage over this risk because it uses no additives, only incobotulinumtoxinA. Therefore, there is a reduced chance of antibodies blocking the reactions necessary for a successful injection, compared to Botox® and similar toxins.
Am I a Good Candidate for Xeomin®?
Most Xeomin® candidates suffer from the aforementioned presence of frown lines. Other ailments treatable by this injection are cervical dystonia (spastic twists of the head and neck) and blepharospasm (an uncontrollable twitching of the eyelids). Xeomin® could be considered a possible alternative for someone who may have a conscious or medical problem with Botox®. Its effects are nearly analogous. However, many medical professionals argue that it is safer than Botox® and carries less risks in both immediate and long-term effects.
Xeomin®, although comparable to Botox®, will typically last less in effect. It is recommended for use as an alternative or supporting act. However, many patients do prefer Xeomin® to other treatments. If you believe you are a good candidate and wish to know more, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Hamilton at Hamilton Facial Plastic Surgery in Indianapolis and be prepared to ask questions and convey any concerns you may have over the procedure.
How Long Will My Xeomin® Procedure Last?
A typical Xeomin® procedure will last about 30 minutes. Depending on the person, more or less time will be consumed in preparation of the area. It’s rare an injection procedure will last more than half-an-hour, however. This timeframe is comparable to most other cosmetic injections of the face.
What Can I Expect After the Xeomin® Procedure?
It is common to experience swelling and reddening of the injection site after the procedure. In much less likely circumstances, short-term visual impairment may occur.
In terms of effects, you can expect a good week to pass without noticing any difference in the prominence of frown lines. As stated earlier, results usually last between three and six months. Depending on your case, more time may be allowed to pass between injections, as overusing Xeomin® can diminish its properties.
What Must I do After the Xeomin® Procedure?
- It is required that you remain upright for the first hour after injection. This is intended to keep the Xeomin® in place and prevent it from “running” or “pulling” on non-desired areas.
- It is recommended that you actively use the muscles treated after injection. Frowning, raising and lowering eyebrows and moving crow’s feet are all helpful and suggested actions to take on your part after the procedure.
- Do not exercise for 48 hours after treatment. Many aspects of exercising, including cardio and yoga activities, require the intense movement of the head area, which could alter and impair the properties of the Xeomin®.
- If you wish to wear makeup after treatment, please be sure to apply it upwards on your forehead and downwards on your crow’s feet.
- You may also consider taking arnica tablets or bromelain afterwards. This can help to reduce bruising and unsightly, temporary discoloration of the injection site. If you choose arnica, be sure to take a tablet before and after treatment. For bromelain, take two dosages of 500 mg, twice a day, for at least three days afterwards.
- You should AVOID: all pain relievers, save for acetaminophen (Tylenol), foods high in vitamin E and alcoholic beverages immediately after treatment.
How Soon Can I Return to Work After Xeomin® Treatment?
In almost all cases, the patient is able to return to work on the same or following day of treatment. Strategically applied makeup will help to reduce any visible redness or bruising in the area.
Post Operative Neurotoxin Instructions
After Your Neurotoxin Treatment
- Remain upright for 4 hours after injection (you may lie in a reclined position, just do not lay flat)
- Exaggerate facial expressions in injected areas for 1 hour after injection
- Do not wear a headband or hat where the band goes across your forehead if you have had injections between the brows or in the forehead
- Refrain from aerobic exercise that increases your heart rate greatly (running, swimming, bicycling, etc…) for 24 hours following injections. Walking or other low impact forms of exercise are fine
- Do not massage or manipulate injected areas for 24 hours after injections. Washing your face and applying make-up is fine. Please avoid using a Clarisonic facial cleanser, have a facial, put your face in a massage cradle, or be face down in a chiropractor’s chair for 24 hours following the injection.
- Refrain from using ibuprofen, aspirin, fish oil supplements, or vitamin E for 24 hours following injection
- If bruising appears, apply ice to area for 15 minutes every hour to decrease bruising
- The most common side effect is headache with Neurotoxin injections. You may use Tylenol to relieve this. If you are a chronic headache sufferer and have prescription headache medication, you may take it as prescribed by your doctor.
- Neurotoxin will gradually take effect over 7-10 days with optimum result at 2 weeks. If this is your first Neurotoxin injection, we recommend scheduling a follow up appointment 2 weeks after your injection.
How Much Does Xeomin® Treatment Cost in Indianapolis, Indiana?
Cosmetic treatments such as Xeomin® are not considered medically necessary, so your insurance likely won’t cover the price of the procedure. Costs associated with Xeomin® vary from patient to patient. Please call Carmel or Greenwood office today if you have questions regarding the price of Xeomin® treatment.
Xeomin® has helped many Indianapolis area residents achieve a smoother, rejuvenated facial appearance. To learn more about this treatment, contact Hamilton Facial Plastic Surgery today for your consultation at either our Carmel or Greenwood office.