Post Operative Dermal Filler Instructions
Before the Procedure
- Avoid taking Anti-Inflammatories (ex. Advil, Excedrin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aspirin) for 1 week prior to procedure
- Avoid supplements containing any of the following ingredients: Bilberry, Cayenne, Dong Quai, Echinacea, Feverfew, Fish Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Hawthorne, Kava Kava, Licorice Root, Ma Huang (ephedra), Melatonin, Red Clover, St. John’s Wort, Valerian Root, Vitamin E, and Yohimbe for 2 weeks prior to procedure
- You will also want to avoid some prescription medications, if possible, for one week prior to your injection such as Plavix and cholesterol-reducing medications. Please consult your prescribing physician before discontinuing any prescription drug as we are not authorizing that you do this. Injections can still be performed if you do not discontinue these medications, but be aware there is a much higher chance of bruising
- Avoid Smoking for 2 weeks prior to procedure, if possible. If you do smoke, please be aware the chance of bruising is greatly increased and healing time lengthens.
ARNICA MONTANA – 30 strength: Dissolve 3 tablets under tongue 3 times a day starting 4 days prior to appointment. You may continue until the bruising and swelling has subsided (usually 7-14 days). Do not brush your teeth, eat, or drink anything but water 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after taking Arnica Montana. Avoid handling of the tablets by using the bottle cap. It is important to place tablets under the tongue and let dissolve naturally.
After the Procedure
- Some bruising and swelling is normal after dermal filler injections. There may even be some “lumpiness” at the injection sites. This usually resolves within 1 week
- Avoid any type of facial massage for 48 hours after procedure
- Avoid exercise which increases your heart rate for 24-48 hours after procedure (light stretching, walking, yoga, etc… is fine)
- Wash face gently following procedure and apply make-up normally
- Try to sleep on your back, if possible for the two nights following your procedure
- Please follow-up with our office as recommended at the time of your procedure
- Call our office with any questions or concerns at 317-210-4339 (Greenwood) or 317-614-0639 (Carmel)